Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The engineer and his wife (told from Edward's perspective, so to speak)

A few weeks ago, my wife posted an experience on her blog titled "The engineer and his wife" (yes, that makes me the engineer). I thought I would take a few minutes and tell the real story. So here goes...

I arrive home from work just as my lovely wife was finishing preparing dinner. She had made French Toast (I love having breakfast for dinner). As I came into the kitchen my daughter, Riley, was just opening the microwave door to take out the orange juice that she had thawed. There was a pretty good mess in the bottom of the microwave because the orange juice had bubbled over to top of the can.

As I saw this, I said, "How long did you put that in for?" The wife immediately jumped in and came to Riley's defense saying that she was just following instructions and that she better have put a paper towel down under the can because the orange juice ALWAYS overflows when thawed in the microwave. She also informed me that she ALWAYS puts it in for 3 minutes on power 7. I then asked if she had ever considered putting it in for less time or at a lower power so that it doesn't bubble over and make a mess. I also let her know that I have always done it for 2-1/2 minutes on power 7 and it has never bubbled over.

At that point, the wife, who was sitting at the table with her back to me, threw her head back and started to laugh as she realized that she had never considered the less time or lower power options and had just resigned herself to having to clean up a mess each time orange juice needed to be thawed. I'll agree with her post that I then "burst into ridiculous laughter" which lasted for quite some time but was appropriate given the situation.

PS -- Sometimes people are "doing it wrong"....

5 comments:

Shannon Mattson said...

That settles it; the engineer needs therapy!

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

I agree... sometimes people are just "doing it wrong"! :) Love ya Sis! :)

Shannon Mattson said...

Bite me, you traitor!!!! I'll remember this! Your baby isn't quite as cute as she was earlier today!

ToddS said...

A. Welcome back to the producer side of the Interwebs. Please keep it up.

B. -15 Man Points for the Twidiot reference.

C. Shannon, I agree with the LaFontains (but you knew that was coming).

D. Brent, take off next Monday afternoon: we're going golfing.

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

Oh Sis... you know you still think my baby is as cute as ever! And, I'm not a traitor... I'm being true to my maiden name and those things that are naturally instinctive for me! I still love you! :)
PS - If you say my baby isn't cute again... you won't get to hold her in Durango... (moowaaahhh)